How to Get a Permit to Work in Canada
Are you trying to get a Canadian work permit but aren’t sure what the process is? If you plan to come to Canada to work, you must apply for a work permit that allows you to work in the country.
Read on to find out how to apply for a Canadian work permit.
Requirements for Spousal Sponsorship in Canada
You must have a job offer to apply for a work permit in Canada. After receiving a job offer, you must apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). An LMIA allows companies to hire foreign workers.
Once you receive a positive assessment, you can apply for a Canadian work permit. Unless you have an open work permit, you must apply for a brand new work permit each time you wish to begin a new job.
To summarize, the process involves:
- Receiving a job offer from an employer
- Applying for a work permit
- Qualifying for an LMIA
- Receiving a work permit
How Long Does a Canadian Work Permit Last?
Work permits in Canada all have an expiry date.
Work permits in Canada last for a total number of 48 months, which is four years. The number of months does not have to be consecutive – there can be gaps in between.
After reaching the maximum of four years, a foreign worker must leave the country for a minimum of 48 months (four years) before returning and working in Canada again.
What is An Open Work Permit?
A regular work permit in Canada restricts the permit holder to the job and employer on the permit. An Open Work Permit allows the person holding it to work for any employer in Canada.
Open Work Permits do not require an employment offer or an LMIA. You can apply for an Open Work Permit if you are a Canadian permanent resident applicant.
Eligibility Requirements to Apply For a Canadian Work Permit
To apply for a work permit in Canada, you must:
- Prove that you will leave the country when your permit expires
- Prove you have enough money to care for yourself and your family members while you are in the country
- Obey the law
- Have no prior criminal record
- Be in good health
- Not work for an “ineligible” employer
- Be able to provide documents (if asked) to prove you can enter Canada
Applying for a Work Permit From Inside Canada
If you live in a different country and wish to work in Canada, you must apply for a work permit before entering the country.
You can only apply for a work permit in Canada under the following circumstances:
- You currently have a work or study permit
- Your spouse, parents, or common-law partner has a valid work or study permit
- You are eligible for a post-grad work permit
- You have a temporary resident permit valid for six or more months
- You are a permanent resident applicant awaiting a decision
- You claimed refugee protection
- You require a work permit for a different ob
- You are a professional under the Canada – United States – Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)
Apply for Your Canadian Work Permit Today
Preferred Immigration helps people succeed and begin their new journey. We help our clients overcome any challenges during the work permit application process, from evaluating eligibility, documentation for the application, and final acceptance. We make the application process a smooth and easy one. Contact us today to see how we can help you on your immigration journey.