Types of Canadian Work Permits

Preferred Immigration Services Inc.
Categories: Canada Work Permit , Canadian Immigration Services , Immigration Consultant

Blog Banner Picture 3.png

Canada is a land of opportunity, and one way to explore those opportunities is through a Canadian work permit. But with several types of work permits available, it's crucial to understand which one suits your needs best. In this blog, we'll provide an overview of the various types of Canadian work permits, helping you choose the right path to your Canadian career.

Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP):

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) is a crucial avenue for Canadian employers to address labour shortages by hiring foreign workers for specific job roles. Employers seeking to hire foreign workers through the TFWP typically need to obtain a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). The LMIA process involves demonstrating that there are no qualified Canadian citizens or permanent residents available for the job, ensuring that the hiring of foreign workers does not adversely affect the Canadian labour market. Once approved, foreign workers are issued employer-specific work permits, tying them to a particular job with a specific employer for a specified duration.

International Mobility Program (IMP):

The International Mobility Program (IMP) encompasses various work permit categories designed to facilitate the movement of foreign workers to Canada without the requirement of an LMIA. This program covers individuals under specific international agreements, such as trade agreements (e.g., NAFTA, now CUSMA), intra-company transferees, and other reciprocal arrangements. The IMP recognizes the importance of international relationships and aims to streamline the process for certain categories of foreign workers to contribute to the Canadian workforce.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP):

The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is a work permit option specifically tailored for international students who have completed their studies at eligible Canadian post-secondary institutions. Graduates can apply for a PGWP, allowing them to gain valuable Canadian work experience. The duration of the PGWP is typically equivalent to the length of their program of study, up to a maximum of three years. This program not only supports international graduates in their career development but also encourages them to contribute to the Canadian economy.

Open Work Permit:

An open work permit is a flexible option that allows foreign nationals to work for any employer in Canada without the constraints of an employer-specific work permit. This type of permit is particularly beneficial for individuals like the spouses or common-law partners of certain temporary residents and refugee claimants. It provides them with the freedom to seek employment opportunities that align with their skills and qualifications, contributing to their overall settlement and integration into Canadian society.

Bridging Open Work Permit:

The Bridging Open Work Permit serves as a valuable mechanism for individuals who have submitted applications for permanent residence in Canada and are in the process of waiting for a decision. This permit allows them to maintain their legal status and continue working in Canada while their immigration applications are being processed. It offers stability and continuity for applicants and acknowledges their contribution to the Canadian workforce even as they transition to permanent residency.

Understanding the types of Canadian work permits is essential for international workers seeking employment in Canada. If you need guidance on which work permit suits your goals or assistance with the application process, Get in touch with Preferred Immigration Services today! Our expert team is here to help you navigate your path to Canadian employment.

To learn more about the services we offer, please click here. To get in touch with us, please click here or give us a call at (780) 430-7988 and International 800-899-8841.